Thursday, January 21, 2010

Worse before it gets better

In one of my previous posts , I discussed doctor's offices. Believe you me I know the joys of that. You see I suffer from severe back pain- to the point it limits me from everyday activity. I mean even shopping (which I love) hurts my back now. My wallet is happy but I'm not.






Just recently I was admitted into a clinical trial for a new drug for back pain. And all I can say it that medicine has kicked the patottie out of me. I received my first treatment last Thursday. That appointment alone was over 4 hours long. I received this drug through an IV and I HATE HATE HATE NEEDLES. Me and Needles have a relationship they stick me I faint. LOL




So you are probably asking why did I agree to this trial. First and foremost it was because I was tired of not being able to do what I wanted and when I wanted. I am tired of making excuses for not doing things because I am not able.




Secondly, I wanted to do this because I feel like I can make a contribution to someone else's well-being. This trial will run for 7 months.






During this time, I will be subjected to numerous ECG, Neurological exams, questionnaires on pain levels, urine tests, iv drug infusion, medicine I have take by mouth, and numerous blood draws. All I can say is what was I thinking.






As I mentioned before I started the treatment last Thursday, when I got home from the appointment, I felt horrible. I think I felt worse pain than I did before I went. That on top of a migraine did not bode well for me.




The idea behind this drug is that is a human developed antibody which will attach to the nerve ending . Believe you me I think that were definitely getting attached for 3 days after my appointment. I have never been so uncomfortable in all my life. In fact at one point on a scale from 1 t0 10 for pain with 10 being the worse I was at a 15. Yea that bad.




I wonder why it is that with medicines you always seem to get worse before it gets better. I do not understand the reasoning behind this. Medicine is supposed to make you feel better not worse it is supposed to be the cure not the reason that a person needs healing.




As for me right now I am feeling a little relief but trying to get comfortable enough sleep at night is a trial in itself. I think this medicine might help but right now the jury is still out.




TALK TO ME NEXT FRIDAY AFTER ANOTHER APPOINTMENT THEN I'LL LET YOU KNOW. THE VAMPIRES ARE GOING TO LOVE ME. lol






Maybe after that appointment I will be able to do cartwheels NOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment